North Wheatley is a village and former civil parish, now in the parish of North and South Wheatley, in Bassetlaw district, in the county of Nottinghamshire, England. At the time of the 2001 census it had a population of 489, increasing to 509 at the 2011 census. It is located 6 miles north-east of Retford. The village has a number of 17th century brick houses. The Old Hall on Low Street/Church Hill is dated 1673, with the arms of the Cartwright family. The parish church of St Peter and St Paul was restored in 1896. Many farms in the area have dovecotes, either as free-standing buildings or above farm buildings. The civil parish was merged with South Wheatley to form North and South Wheatley.
Wheatley is of Anglo-Saxon origin and it means open land (from Anglo-Saxon leah) either of wheat (Anglo-Saxon hwaete), or by the water (Anglo-Saxon waeter). The village is next to the Trent, built on clay and prone to flooding, so there is a strong local link to water. In the Domesday Book it is referred to as Wateleia.
Wheatley lay on the Roman road Ermine Street between Lincoln and Doncaster and Roman artefacts have been found locally, including a Roman tombstone. It is next mentioned in the Domesday Book, which reveals it comprised 25 villages and 4 freemen. The tenant-in-chief at this time was Roger de Busli.
The open fields in North Wheatley were enclosed in 1837. By 1853 the population had risen to 427 and the principal owner was Lord Middleton.
The Middleton Wheatley Foundation Trust was established in 1981 by Lord Middleton with the proceeds from the sale of the old school house. It aims to promote education, in particular religious education, in the village. Interest from the trust's investments are distributed to charitable projects in these areas three times each year.